Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My day as a housewife (house-fiancée?)

Since I got that interview behind me yesterday, I feel so much lighter and happier. And since I have no job and don’t know my way around town very well yet, I spent most of today taking care of some chores that needed to be done/have been driving me crazy. And I have pictures to prove it!

After breakfast this morning, I walked myself and a bunch of laundry down to the Laundromat. It’s only a couple of blocks away from the apartment, but it definitely feels longer lugging tons of clothes, the laundry basket, the detergent, the quarters, etc. After spending all year doing this himself, Ben is adamant about having a washer/dryer in our new apartment, and I am happy about that! Anyway, here is a shot of the bulging laundry basket before.

Before Laundromat

I wish it was see-through so you could really get an idea of how much stuff was packed in there. There were definitely three sets of sheets, multiple towels, etc. etc. And a lot of the big stuff was there from when my family drove me up this past week—the sheets and towels especially—so I was happy to get some of it washed!

And, so I feel accomplished, here is a shot of all the fresh, clean, folded laundry before it got put away! Don’t let the excitement of my life overwhelm you! :-)

Fresh clothes

OK, I do realize that my housewife skills are obviously lacking a bit. I bet that nice clean fresh laundry would look a lot neater on a nicely made bed. Maybe bed-making will be a goal for tomorrow!

Empty basket!


After my laundry escapades (which were tiring!), I decided to tackle the kitchen. It's tiny anyway, and since I've been here, things have just been slung around wherever they land--leaving us with a lot clutter and NO counter space. Not to mention the pantry! Here are before and after shots of what I worked on.

The kitchen counter, covered in clutter

Nice, neat counter


The pantry--not overflowing, but unorganized

Nice, organized pantry

The kitchen work was actually a lot less taxing than I thought it would be--which made up for the fact that the laundry was harder than I was imagining! :-) That has been most of my day so far (minus some time lounging on the couch and watching TV). When I was uploading these pictures today, I also uploaded a lot of cute ones from the past couple of weeks that I hope to post soon!

2 comments:

Mere said...

What do you mean you're lacking in housewifely skills? Looks like you were SuperHouseFiancee today... now all you need is a cape. And possibly a cave full of gadgetry.

Jen said...

Ugh, I remember the laundromat days! I'm so glad we bought our washer and dryer...Good job on getting everything clean and organized!!