Monday, August 24, 2009

Keeping busy (kinda)

Well, I haven't felt much like blogging here lately, mainly because we haven't been doing much around here that is very blog-worthy! I think we're both trying to pretend these past couple of weeks have been our summer vacation (and they have, for Ben!), and we've been enjoying being lazy. It's nice, but I look forward to meeting some of Ben's friends and making some friends of my own.Our days have consisted of watching TV, reading, and cooking--with a few errands and other fun things thrown in here or there. I went to campus with Ben one afternoon while he bought his books for this semester (ohmigosh, insane). We went and toured the Anheuser-Busch brewery, too. The tour is free and it's interesting and you get free beer at the end! I went with my sister-in-law and her boyfriend when they were in town before, but I knew Ben would enjoy it, too. It was fun. I also finally have my own library card for the county libraries here, so I'm excited about that. I promptly checked out 5 books (like always) and have read 1 1/2 so far. :-)

Otherwise, we've been watching this:

Going here to use a few gift cards:
Buying things like....

A bath mat (finally!)
It's just like the one I had in Chapel Hill, which makes me feel nostalgic. Plus, I like how plush it is on my feetsies. AND it was cheap (bonus!). Haha.


Another type of scrubber
The awesome pink one isn't small enough to get to the bottom of glasses. And our glasses sometimes come out of the dishwasher dirtier than they went in (ANNOYING).


A rotary cheese grater
Guess whose idea this was??? Haha. Ben has wanted one forever (he loves kitchen gadgets), and he loves fresh parmesan, so it works out p
erfectly (minus the new need to buy expensive hunks of parmesan cheese! :-)

I also got the chance to use my cake plate! Not for anything fancy, just a cake mix cake, but still. It was fun to break out another wedding gift and use it! :-)

Also, I was uploading pictures and I came across these from our license plate fiasco. I just had to share what it took to get that dang license plate off my car and then get the new one back on.

Clorox wipes (lots of them)
Because we had sprayed, oh I don't know, half a can or so of WD-40 onto the rusted screws of my old plate to try to loosen them. That technique did not work. So we had 2 stuck rusted screws, an old license plate, and disgusting greasy hands/plate/bumper. FUN.

Electric screwdriver and drill, license plate mounting kit, drill bits, and oh yeah, Clorox wipes
Funnily enough, even though the new plate is there in the photo, the picture doesn't even show what finally worked for us--the socket wrench we happened to find in my carside repair kit (thanks, Mama!!!). It worked like a charm on one screw, but of course, it broke off the other one. So my license plate is currently being held up by two screws on the bottom (where we drilled holes into the metal....fun times), and no screws on top (because one hole is blocked by a broken screw and because the other screws we had were too long to fit in the other hole). I'm telling you, if I had known how hard the physical part of switching the plates would be, I am sure I would have had a breakdown! After everything else was FINALLY in place, it would be my luck to have trouble getting the stupid plates actually onto the car. None of this stuff ever happens to Ben :-P

Well that pretty much catches up what's been going on here! Random, huh?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds like you had fun with the license plate!

Hope you've had a good week. I promise to be better about blogging soon.