Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cupcakes!

First of all, I am happy to report that late last week motivation struck me. Look at the progress I made in our second bedroom!

That's right, you're seeing floor! :-)

Yes, that may be a pile of unpacked boxes taking up one corner of the room.
I am so relieved to be able to access this room more easily! And once we get a couple of bookcases and perhaps a folding table, I'll be able to unpack and put away the rest. I can't wait!

Yesterday, I made cupcakes!!! :-) Woo! I used a 1-2-3-4 cake recipe that I found online. It's basically like my mom's, but didn't require separating the eggs or folding in the egg whites. And I must say, the cake tastes delicious! It's very fluffy and soft. YUM.

I also used an easy vanilla icing recipe that came from the back of the Sprinkles cupcake mix box. It's VERY sweet and VERY buttery, but that is exactly what Ben likes in an icing, so it worked for him! And it was easy to make, so it worked for me. :-) Here is a link to the recipe if you're interested.

And, I went crazy decorating the cupcakes too! I dyed the frosting with food coloring, got out my decorating kit, and had some fun. Here are the results! :-)

Happy to have an excuse to break out the cupcake tree (thanks, Kate!!)

Close-up of my "technique" Haha


These teal ones were some of my favorites

Like a dummy, I did not halve the cake recipe. And although the icing recipe says it is for 12 cupcakes, it ices DOUBLE that. Yeah. 24 iced cupcakes. Yikes. :-)

Our Saturday was extra-nice. We went to Kohl's and Hobby Lobby in the evening (we're trying to avoid the tax-free crowds!! :-) We didn't buy much, but it was fun to look around. And all I know that is on the docket for today is grocery shopping. I've been trying to decide how I want to print off all of the wedding photos our family and friends took, so I may print a few today at Wal-Mart. I am thinking I'll go with Shutterfly for the majority of them, but I haven't quite decided yet. It's expensive to ship 220 photos! :-) I've also been majorly sidetracked by editing some of the pictures with Picnik. It's so much fun! I bet it would be even more fun with the premium version. :-) Maybe someday.

I hope everyone else is having a nice relaxing weekend. Ben's last day of work for his summer job was Friday, so I'm really looking forward to hanging out with him for the next couple of weeks before he starts school again. :-)

4 comments:

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Awesome job on the second bedroom and the yummy cupcakes! Enjoy your Sunday and stay cool with this steamy weather!

Jen said...

Beautiful cupcakes!! Wish I could eat one...bet it wouldn't survive Fedex, would it? Sounds like you've had a very nice weekend! I'll be calling you this evening!

Unknown said...

yaay you used your cupcake stand!!!!! and your cupcakes look awesome and beautiful, as do all your concoctions :-P
love you!

jlc said...

Ohhhh how I love the cuppycake!!

:)