Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving Food!

I know, I haven't posted in ages. We've been busy some of the time. I've been wallowing some of the time. I don't like to post about wallowing! :-)

I promise to do a full post on our Thanksgiving (we spent it here, just the two of us) with pictures and everything. But I also wanted to share some of our yummy recipes!

By far, my favorite item was the sweet potatoes. I ate them at dinner, supper, breakfast the next day, etc. We used a Barefoot Contessa recipe, available here. But we added marshmallows on top for the last 10 minutes of cooking. SO GOOD. The potatoes themselves aren't really that sweet, so I like the layer of YUMMY SUGAR the marshmallows provide! :-)

Sweet potatoes

We also made a Tyler Florence "Ultimate" pumpkin pie. Here is that recipe. I did not make a homemade crust. We did not make the fancy topping. The flavor of the pie was really good, but mine stayed too mushy in the middle. I will probably be trying a different pie recipe next time.

Pumpkin pie

Some less time-intensive items were the green beans (just basic ones simmered with chicken stock and onions), deviled eggs, and cranberry sauce from a can (my favorite kind! :-).

Green beans (not as good as my Pawpaw's)

Deviled eggs (not as good as my mom's)

Canned cranberry sauce (consistently delicious!!)

For a "fancier" side, we made macaroni and cheese from the recipe of a cheese shop we went to in Seattle--Beecher's Macaroni and Cheese. We considered it fancy because we were able to get the nice cheeses at Whole Foods, thanks to a generous gift card from my mother-in-law. It was SO rich. And we have left over cheese to use this week....yay!

Mac and cheese

We also made homemade rolls from a recipe I saw through another blog. They turned out pretty good, too. Not perfect, but tasty. I will probably try them again sometime.

Rolls

I feel so behind on posting! I actually started this post days ago and never finished it. I still haven't uploaded our Thanksgiving pictures. And yesterday we started decorating for Christmas! I just don't know where all the time is going, but I'll try to be back soon with fun pictures!

As if this isn't enough information about food, last night we had this Chicken and Rice bake. It was GOOD. And not complicated. We're having leftovers again tonight. Just a side note, I hate how I can think I'm searching Cooking Light recipes and end up with one from Southern Living. Not good for someone trying to diet! :-)

And tomorrow I want to make this baked vegetable sandwich. I just found that blog recently, and she posts tons of interesting recipes. The sandwich sounds so good, and I think it's neat how the bread dough and veggies bake together! We'll see how it turns out.

OK, I'm done talking about food.

2 comments:

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Yum, you're making me hungry! Sounds like everything turned out delish.

If you didn't see my earlier post, we're having a STL Blogger get together on Sunday. Hope you can join us!

http://happyforthismoment.blogspot.com/2009/11/meet-me-in-st.html

SnoWhite said...

how did you enjoy the baked veggie sandwiches?!